Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:30:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Pat Barron <pat@transarc.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: So, exactly what *was* purged?

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Pat Barron wrote:

> I know someone asked this, but I have not seen an answer:  Could someone
> provide a list of exactly what was purged?  It would be handy to know
> things like, "this was purged, and is absolutely *not* coming back", or
> "this was purged, but is being considered for reinstatement", but what I
> really want to know is *exactly* what is now (today) gone, that used to be
> there.

voxware, lkms, vinum(an lkm)

voxware may come back, vinum is definetly coming back as kld

basically klms which have been deemed bad by -core are gone, as well as
voxware.

(there may be more i missed)

vinum which i think is REALLY nifty should be back in a few days from what
it looks like.

> BTW, I note that these items were said to be moved "to the attic"?  My
> apologies if this is in a FAQ somewhere, but is this mythical "attic" of
> cast-off FreeBSD pieces accessible to the public?  If so, how/where?

"The attic" refers to CVS attic:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/

the things with "(in the Attic)" next to them are no longer in the tree,
but are in the cvs archive.  you can still get them, however most likely
eventually they will become "stale" and not compile on a -current system.

note to yourself, logging cvsup activity is a good thing, and if you are
trully interested in such things you should subscribe to the cvs-freebsd
mailing lists, or search them.

hope this helps.

-Alfred