Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 17:46:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lets Endorse KDE Was: some slashdot thread

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

>I'd much rather see elements which attract professional technologists
>to FreeBSD, people who can bring something in with them.  Looking
>around, it seems that FreeBSD is doing that pretty well although
>improvements can always be made.

I agree. FreeBSD is doing well.

Not everyone is a hacker. It is a big world out there. Programmers are a
small segment of society.

Computer users are a much larger segment of society than programmers.
Discounting them (me even) is a discredit to those of us who do what
little we can.

And oh yeah, those suits people always bitch about, they are not
technologists either. They decide what to implement. If they never even
_hear_ about FreeBSD they will never implement it _EVER_ regardless of its
technical excellence. Users provide exposure for free.

I am _not_ just a load on an already overstressed system. I am a member of
this community.

Again, making KDE a default will help new users. Thos of us who know how
to swing our X configs to and fro don't need or necessarily like KDE.
Don't judge this issue on the fact that KDE is not a 20 year development.
Judge this issue on the help KDE will provide newbies. Put yourself in a
non-cs degreed non-programmer non-unix users shoes and then look at the
issue.

Remember, they may have been WHiny windows users, but they came to see
what FreeBSD has to offer. If you throw that opportunity away because you
don't esteem that user for a lack of technical prowess, then you have
thrown away free exposure.

Can FreeBSD afford to just discount users?

Catchya Later,		|	Give me UNIX or give me a typewriter.
Jason Wells		|	http://www.freebsd.org/