Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:42:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboots

> >> My FreeBSD-Stable-3.0 machine has been spontaneously rebooting every few
> >>     486 DX4 - 100MHz
> >AMD 5x86
>
> Interesting... I am seeing the same thing on my AMD 586 as well. It looked
> like bad RAM, but I adjusted the wait states to be a little more
> conservative and the box is more stable now.  Mine is a 5x86, 48MB RAM, NCR
> 875 and a couple of ed0 cards....

Well, for now the common factor are a 486-class CPU and the ed0 card. My
machine was running just fine (without any reboots) under 2.2.8. As soon
as I put 3.0 (-CURRENT at that time) on the box, the spontaneous reboots
started. And it would be an incredible coincidence that my RAM would be
broken at the same time I upgraded the machine ;)

>From the above data, the culprit could either be the 486-class CPU or the
network card. But as I don't use the network card, I suspect the CPU.

Is anyone with a 586 or 686-class CPU seeing the spontaneous reboots with
3.0-STABLE or 4.0-CURRENT?

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia