Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 06:12:05 +1100 (EST)
From:      "^'*'^" <supervoc@wingdriver.com.au>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Common Question

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 root@isis.dynip.com wrote:
} Hi there,
} Continuing the series of questiions,
} I am hearing tooooo much now about linux.
-
} I'm sick of it, now I hear that IBM is making some deal with Linux
} people for installing Linux on their new machines, I am very very sad,
} and very very gelous.

better to be hearing about Linux than certain other operating[1] systems.
more support by vendors for Linux is not something I would be worried
about.  consider that Linux popularity translates to greater awareness
that "unix" alternatives even exist.  if someone is tempted enough to try
out Linux then chances are they will hear about FreeBSD sooner or later.

...and curiousity is a wonderful thing.  I'd wager that a high percentage
of people who have tried FreeBSD or Linux have also gone on and tried the
other, just to see for themselves what each system is like.  Linux
popularity can therefore effectively be beneficial for FreeBSD when you
really think about it.

if more vendors are getting involved with Linux then this will ultimately
do more good than bad for the FreeBSD world -- no need to despair.

give it time.

-SV7-

[1] exception error