Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:48:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      kristopher <kzentner@u.washington.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   new printer driver (nlpt0) woes

I've been trying to get with the new nlpt drivers since the current lpt
driver is "depreciated". First I must comment that the documentation for
the new lpt driver is kind of poor and the driver does not seem to work
the same as the former. I'm trying quite hard to figure out why so perhaps
someone can help.

printer type: hp 540

the line that I had in my kernel config that works:
device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

the one I'm attepting to introduce while commenting out the above:
controller      ppc0    at isa? port? net irq 7 vector lptintr
controller      ppbus0 at ppc0
device          nlpt0   at ppbus?

my main printcap entry I use to print (which uses apsfilter):
lp|lp2|penelope|cdjmono-letter-auto-mono|cdjmono auto mono:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/cdjmono-letter-auto-mono:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/cdjmono-letter-auto-mono/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/cdjmono-letter-auto-mono/acct:\
        :if=/usr/local/apsfilter/filter/aps-cdjmono-letter-auto-mono:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

what happens: about 1/4 of the page prints and then it starts spewing
extra pages and garbage.

As for now I'm still using the old lpt driver since it still works. I'm a
little discouraged that a printer driver that has worked wonderfully for
so long is now replaced with one that is different and gives no
explaination as to how. Perhaps it no longer works with apsfilter? Any

    Kristopher Zentner           |    "Would you tell me, please, which
    Aspiring Linguist            |     way I ought to go from here?"
    FreeBSD Advocate             |    "That depends a great deal on
    kzentner@u.washington.edu    |     where you want to go." said the Cat