Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:20:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

How about this, which noone has suggested:
	Why don't we, for now, import EGCS and libstdc++, getting those working?
Of course, here's the trick; let's keep /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/cc as 2.7.2.x
like they are now. But for /usr/bin/c++ and /usr/bin/g++, let's have EGCS
overwrite the 2.7.2.x ones. As far as I see, EGCS doesn't gain anything for C,
and only has gains for C++. Why not switch over partially? We can have
2.7.2.1 not build cc1plus, only cc1 and cc1obj, and have EGCS 1.1.1 build only
cc1plus.
	With this, we get two advantages over the current system. Not only do
we get a working, actively supported, C++ compiler, but also we get to keep
(for now) the stable, reliable, C compiler we've been depending on for years.
Noone can complain that the compiler is destabilizing the system, as all
"system" utilities are in C, not C++, and noone can complain that we're behind
the times with C++, since we have the latest C++ compiler and libstdc++. Of
course, in the long run, once stability is proven, switching to entirely EGCS
would make sense.

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
	     http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |