Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 15:24:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fd broken

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Brian Feldman wrote:

>   It seems that actually, not through my own fault, the fd driver is broken. I
> noticed this weeks ago but thought it a fluke since I only had the problem on
> one computer. However, on the school FreeBSD box, I also notice the same
> problem!

The point is that previously, it had stopped working on my home box. Now, it
also doesn't work on a different box that had been 3.0 before, and had fd
working great. I have not made any modifications to the fd driver.

> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 16 of 16-31 (No status)
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 (No status)
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 1 (No status)
>
> Hope someone knows :( I'll check the recent updates to the driver and see if
> one of them is at fault.

None of them look like they could be at fault, at least easily. Can someone
try using your floppy drive with the latest sources? It doesn't work in two
4.0 machines which have absolutely nothing in common except being 586en.

>  Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
>  green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
> 	     http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
>  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!	   _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/