Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:58:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Nick Hilliard <nick@iol.ie>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dpt raid-5 performance

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> > I haven't yet replied to Nick's message because I wanted to check
> > something here first, and I've been too busy so far.  But I'll come
> > back with some comparisons.
>
> I'm going to run some benchmarks over the next few days and see what they
> throw up.
>
> My instinct was that 512K was a "good" interleave size in some sense of the
> word, mainly because of the fact that it would cause so many fewer disk io
> ops in most circumstances -- in fact, all circumstances except where you're
> doing piles of tiny io ops.  The bonnie results seem to shatter this
> illusion.

  Uhh... no.  Large stripe sizes for good for lots of parallel processes.
Bonnie is only a single process, so you would want to break each disk i/o
into multiple requests to maximize its performance (after all the array
doesn't have anything else to do).

  Optimizing for multi-user is very different from single-user.

> Does anyone know if a 2044W card creates exactly the same RAID structure on
> a disk array as a 3334UW?  I have both cards lying around the place at the
> moment, and it would trivial to run benchmarks for both systems just by
> replacing the card on the machine.

  The 3334UW has a faster processor.  The I/Os per second can be looked
up.

> Nick Hilliard
> Ireland On-Line System Operations

Tom