Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:09:11 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        nclayton@lehman.com
Cc:        Satoshi - the Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, nbm@mithrandr.moria.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU Stow, and the ports system?

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 nclayton@lehman.com wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 02:17:47PM -0800, Satoshi - the Wraith - Asami wrote:
> >  * From: Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
> >  * Cc: ports@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.ORG
> >  *
> >  * On Tue 1999-03-30 (08:56), nclayton@lehman.com wrote:
> >  * > Now, obviously I could just do this myself (and probably will when my
> >  * > 3.1 box finishes rebuilding itself).  But would anyone be interested in
> >  * > having this functionality folded back into the ports system as an option?
> >
> > As an option?  Heck, I'd like to see it as the default. :)
>
> OK.  I tried playing with it briefly last night, but ran in to all sorts
> of problems (some of which are doubtless to do with the fact that my box
> is in a state of disarray at the moment).  In particular it seems to
> violently object to the fact that /usr/local/ on my system is a symlink
> to /local/1/usr.local.

Even more fun is when you create a file in /usr/local that isn't
"registered" in the 'stow database'...next time you run stow, it will
happily remove it for you :)

At least, with the system we were using, 'stow' (in our case, called
'depot') *owns* /usr/local ... don't put anything in there that it doesn't
know about or it will trash it...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org