Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 22:02:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solid NFS patch #6 avail for -current - need testers files)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > > :BitKeeper should be ready soon.
> > > :
> > > :Once it's been proven stable, might it be a better alternative to CVS?
> > > :
> > > :H
> > >
> > >     Maybe, but we wouldn't know for a couple of years.  You don't just go
> > >     trusting 15+ years worth of source history to a program that has just
> > >     barely been written.  I think the Linux people are making a huge mistake
> > >     by not using CVS.
> >
> > My thoughts almost exactly (I think the Linux people have already made a
> > huge mistake and are compounding it).
> >

> But they are using CVS- sparclinux has been under anon CVS for years.
>
> The problem with CVS is that it *just doesn't work* if you try and have
> truly separate development streams. Branches and corrupted trees and
> directory renames are as pleasant and easy in CVS as trying to deal
> with Charles Hannum and Jason Thorpe in NetBSD (crazed weasels on
> angel dust going for your nether body parts is a comparative tickle). And
> don't even *begin* to talk about merging...
>
> Don't get me wrong- *I* like CVS and how it's used for FreeBSD right now.
> But if you begin to have separate branch development models and want to
> really have a flexible source tree that you can repartition and repackage
> at will, CVS is not your friend.

I agree about CVS' limitations completely. I know that a lot of Linux
projects are under their own CVS control but what kind of history is
available for code once it reaches Linus?  Does Linus have a CVS
repository which stores file-by-file history for the kernel?

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com