Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 14:05:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Hoss Firooznia <hfir@math.rochester.edu>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PicoBSD boot error: can't load kernel

Hi folks,

I've happily been experimenting with PicoBSD for several months now,
modifying the 'net' configuration, making custom configurations, etc., all
without problems.  Recently, however, I'm encountering odd boot errors that
I can't seem to track down.  I CVSup'ed the latest 3.1-STABLE sources and
ran the 'build' script as per the instructions; everything compiles and
crunches correctly, picobsd.bin is written to floppy... but when I then try
to boot the floppy I consistently get the following error:

    /kernel text=0xc379c
    elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
    can't load 'kernel'
    Error booting

This happens with both a modified 'net' configuration as well as with the
stock 'router' configuration.  The boot blocks and boot loader seem to work
as usual (I get the usual loader messages, the BootFORTH menu, etc.)  but
the boot loader apparently can't read in the kernel properly.

I've tried multiple machines and multiple disks, but the problem remains -
so presumably this isn't simply a hardware read error.  Does the problem
sound familiar to anyone?  Am I (most likely) missing something obvious?

Thanks!
- Hoss
--
Hoss Firooznia, UNIX SA, Department of Mathematics, University of Rochester
PGP public key: <URL: http://www.math.rochester.edu/u/hfir/pgp.html>;