Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:50:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO C1 Picturebook

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> I'm talking about the C1 in comparison to the 505.  The screen
> is fine with me.  I just can't figure out how to install
> FreeBSD on it, since I can't boot floppies (usb floppy is
> not yet supported).  A parallel port usb is supported and I
> could connect to another machine that way, but I still can't
> boot install floppies.

Why don't you browse the Laptop Compatibility pages for FreeBSD at

	http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html

for further info.

I am sure that you can boot from the USB floppy since it is the C1X BIOS
that is handling the floppy during the reboot process. Tatsumi Hosokowa in
Japan (http://www.jp.FreeBSD.org/PAO/) has done most if not all of the
work for the FreeBSD Mobile Support Package, and his PA0 release 2.2.8
boot floppy should allow you to do a full install of FreeBSD 2.2.8 on the
C1X -- and come up with a system fully enabled for pcmcia support.

With FreeBSD 3.x, the single boot floppy has become now two floppies. And
the question and problem with the C1X USB floppy drive is whether one can
handle the 2 floppy sequence -- one boots with the kern floppy and when
that is done it requests that you insert the 2nd mfsroot floppy and hit
enter. For laptops, Linux install has a two floppy sequence also (the 2nd
floppy being the pcmcia support) but it fails as the floppy change is not
detected successfully on the USB-based floppy... so the question is
whether the FreeBSD 3.x install fail similarly or actually successfully
detects the floppy change and is able to proceed.

The other option for the install is via bootable CD. For the C1X, Sony
sells an IDE portable CD-ROM drive. The bootable Redhat 5.2 Linux CD
boots fine from this CD-ROM drive... and wo would the bootable FreeBSD
CD-ROM from Walnut Creek. I am sure. There shouldn't be anything special
about the Sony drive but there is... they tinkered with the powerup
sequence and only the Sony drive is properly recognized to be able to boot
from it -- reportedly, you can't boot from similar Panasonic IDE drives
for example. For FreeBSD, Hosokowa's PA0 boot floppy would conceivable
come up with pcmcia scsi support to be able to use a SCSI CD-ROM drive for
the install... The Sony IDE CD-ROM drive is expensive, about $300, but it
does allow for booting from CD and may prove the most expedient way to
install FreeBSD.

Annelise, since you already have one of these machines could you find out
if the 2-floppy boot sequence works on the C1X's USB floppy?

As for the C1S model of the Picturebook, do you know if Sony intends to
release it in the US at some point?

-- Denis