Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:31:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Free Alpha List <freebsd@gateway.virtualsecurity.com.br>
Cc:        adriano@vh.com.br, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bios Alpha to SRM, how?

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Free Alpha List wrote:

> I am trying to change the Firmware of my
> Alpha 164sx (533Mhz)
> now it`s running AlphaBios 5.62
> What do I need to change to SRM Firmware?
> I don`t have Any CD to Upgrade Firmware.
>
> I tested one floppy with
> fwupdate.exe and sx164srm.rom
> that I got from
> ftp.decsy.ru/alpha/FirmWare/164SX/SRM-T4.9/
> but after the Upgrade  I only receive
> one blue screen.

I know that this is possible since Drew Gallatin and I just did this to a
164sx machine at Usenix. It was tricky and seemed to involve finding
exactly the right version of fwupdate.exe (I don't remember which version
that was but Drew might).

If the machine is unbootable after trying to upgrade, you can probably
revive it by using the 'boot console software from floppy' jumper. Check
the manual for details.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com