Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 21:38:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: placement of vi in the filesystem

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Ben Rosengart wrote:

> I'm sure this is old ground, but could anyone please tell me why vi is
> in /usr/bin instead of /bin?  It would be nice to be able to edit files
> in /etc (especially the fstab) without /usr mounted on a vanilla install.

	IIRC, because vi has a lot of bagage like termcap and curses.  I
know it's rough, but you do have ed when in single-user mode.

	On the other hand I built a static nvi and put it in /tmp with a
copy of termcap and set the TERMCAP variable.  With only / mounted, nvi did
just fine, and it only took 460592 and 188100 bytes for the static nvi and
termcap respectivly.  620K isn't much to argue about these days unless you
want it on a floppy.

cheers,

	Adrian
--