Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:42:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache13-fp-modssl problem with passwords

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, J.C. Frazier wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, J.C. Frazier wrote:
> > > Anytime a user tries to publish a page from the client, or perform
> > > anyother operation as an author/administrator, there is a password
> > > mismatch.  I have checked the passwords and they are correct.  md5 and
> > > des are installed on the box, md5 being the default.  I believe that
> > > "FreeBSD 'should' support both once you have the secure package
> > > Taken from /var/log/httpd-error.log:
> > > [Sat Nov 27 20:28:01 1999] [error] user fpadmin: authentication failure
> > > for "/_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.exe": password mismatch
> >
> >   Do a "file" on author.exe.  If it is statically linked, it was probably
> > linked against someother crypt().
> >
> >   FreeBSD's libcrypt has a crypt() function that can understand both DES
> > and MD5.  Howerver, it encrypts using the mentod specified by the symlink.
> >
> > Tom

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
>
> bash-2.03# file author.exe
> author.exe: BSD/OS i386 compact demand paged executable

  Statically link (since it doesn't say dynamic, it has to be static), and
it is a BSD/OS executable, and I doubt that the crypt() function on BSD/OS
knows anything about MD5 passwords.

> I also checked the service.pwd files and it is encrypting it in DES:
> bash-2.03# john /usr2/www/user/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
> Loaded 1 password (Standard DES [24/32 4K])
> correctpassword          (user)      <--- (real pass and username left out of
> this e-mail)
>
> Just not sure about the process of decryption on frontpage or how the
> passwords are matched...

  Try a DES password in master.passwd.  If frontpage works with that, then
you must either use DES passwords for everyone who wants to use frontpage,
or get RTR Software to make a FreeBSD build of the frontpage executables.

> J.C. Frazier

Tom