Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 07:40:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0 already?

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Brennan W Stehling wrote:

> How is FreeBSD moving along so quickly?  One month I am running 3.0R and a
> few months later we are past 3.4 and on to 4.0 STABLE and finally we
> have 5.0 out there already before a 4.1 STABLE exists.

I was told that the new numbering scheme was only x.0-RELEASE, x.0-STABLE,
so on and so forth, I'm yet to verify this.

> I am confused.  What is going on with all these branches?  Is 5.0 the
> FreeBSD/BSDi merge?  Is there a major technology leap with each version
> which demands such widely spread version numbers?

As of my knowledge, no.

> My flawed upgrade to 4.0 a while back left me feeling FreeBSD is going too
> fast and that stability and quality is suffering.  A friend of mine was
> actually scared off and now prefers to go with Linux as it's development
> seems to be more conservative.

What stability problems are you having with 4.0?

> Why is FreeBSD going so fast?  Could it be that the upcoming release of
> Mac OS X was based on mostly on 3.2 and that FreeBSD wants to appear to be
> years past that version?  If so, is it?

No, FreeBSD isn't doing a Slackware-type scheme.

> Are we going to be running version 9.0 in less than 5 years?

Possibly. I mean, do the differences between version numbers make a
difference to the operating system itself? If 4.0 was called 10.0, would
it matter that it has a new number? What if it was called 1.15? Version
numbers are just there for the purposes of keeping track of things, the
numbers themselves don't influence the software, and it's up to the
manafacturer of whatever software product to increment the version numbers
in any way they feel fit.

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |