Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 07:24:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Salon article on BSD

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Anatoly Vorobey wrote:

:http://www.salon.com/tech/fsp/2000/05/16/chapter_2_part_one/index.html
:
:(the headpiece of today's Salon).
:
:Here's Linus quoted inside on why he doesn't do source control:
:
:"The purely technical side of keeping track of the sources can be
:handled by source control packages," says Torvalds, "but at least, in
:my opinion, they actually tend to favor the approach of 'Let's put
:this in now; if it turns out to be a mistake, we can always revert it
:because we have source control.' And of course, nobody ever actually
:does clean up anything. Or hardly ever. So I think the real problem in
:computer science is to have quality control before it even hits the
:distribution, and so far there isn't any other package than the human
:brain that can do that job."
:
:This is so mind-boggingly... misguided?... I just don't know what to
:say to this.

Quit being overly polite.  This falls under blatant stupidity caused by
extreme arrogance.

Jamie Bowden

--

"Of course, that's sort of like asking how other than Marketing,
Microsoft is different from any other software company..."