Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:47:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        Chad Day <cday@beachassociates.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: System intrusion

> My question is:  what can I do?  Should I contact the FBI?  (if so, if
> anyone knows how to go about this best who has had prior experience, I would
> appreciate information)  Contact AOL (which seems to be a waste of time)?

The man who introducced to Unix had a similar problem on his FAA
contract project: His log files proved conclusively that two individuals
were attempting to shut down his systems (airport monitoring boxes, no
less) and the FBI would do precisely nothing.

They didn't tell him, but I found out for him later, quite by
accident, that computer log files are not admissable evidence in
court (do _not_ take that as legal advice, it's strictly third
hand information, though I have reason to trust the source).

And, yes, I'd lay heavy odds that contacting aol would be a _total_
waste of time.

ML Duke