Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 21:35:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan E Fosburgh <wotan@fosburgh.org>
To:        "Andrew M. Miklic" <miklic@attglobal.net>
Cc:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Subject:   Re: GDM

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Andrew M. Miklic wrote:

> Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>
> > That's great!  I couldn't get past some problems with authentication at the
> > login screen.  I assume you've figured that part out?  :-)
>
> Actually, this is now where I'm stuck--I'm assuming it's either a problem with
> not being able to find a specific file in what it thinks is a "standard" place
> (like /etc/passwd), or some type of permissions problem with one of the binaries
> (maybe gdm needs to be run suid)...
>
> Does anyone out there know how gdm installs itself under Linux?
>
> Andrew

Here is a red flag to look for. FreeBSD passwords are encrypted differently
than passwords in most UNIX systems. I have run into some code (such as the
LambdaMOO server) that expect old style passwords, and so you have to do
some special patching to fix that. I would check there if it is not
authenticating correctly.

Jonathan Fosburgh
Open Systems
MD Anderson Cancer Center