Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:10:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Registrars, etc.

http://domainnamebuyersguide.com/

   What do you all think of these people and what they have to say?

   I've never heard of half the registrars they list, and don't entirely
trust their statement about not accepting advertising- how do they pay
for their site then? No banners or links to a parent company are visible.
(and UGH! that canned FrontPage theme looks unprofessional to me, but
that is of course totally a personal opinion)

   The issues they alert you to seem mostly to be reasonable clauses in
the registration agreements designed to protect against cyber-squatting
and other "questionable" net activities. There are a few interesting
things though, which I haven't verified for accuracy.

   Some of what they seem to advocate is nonsensical- for instance, does
anyone really believe that they'll be immune from having their domain name
turned off by the registrar if a dispute gets seriously ugly? A registrar
making $12/year from you probably will drop your domain like a hot potato
if they start receiving subpoenas and notices naming them in high-figure
lawsuits. If they don't, they'll probably go out of business because of
having to deal with those issues on a daily basis.

   So does anyone have any comment on this site, others like it, or the
domain name registration process in general? Other than just how screwed
up it's gotten since the supposedly beneficial split of course. :)

-=Jim=-