Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:36:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] why does my firewall degrade Web performance?

Doesn't load average count the average number of processes waiting on (or
in) a 'run' state? Don't the ipfw functions get performed by the kernel?
If so, wouldn't the only rise in load average be from a secondary effect
on 'coalmine canary' like programs? If you aren't running apache or lotsa
sendmail or something would loadave even go up much under heavy load?

Just wanting to learn how things work - Jy@