Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:23:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel driver doc's Take 2.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> I have read the thread for a while, and i wonder:
>
> why in the world someone should go through the effort and
> responsibility of SIGNING THE NDA _and_ negotiating with Intel
> for getting permissions to redistribute the code ?
>
> I do not see how this is doing any good to the project, given that
> 1) there are alternatives (for 100Mbit quite a few of them), and some
>    cards are even better and cheaper than the "fxp";

Cheaper is of little importance to me (although I would grumble if
the price went much over $100).  But "better"?  Please continue!
I am very interested in your insights on alternatives.

> 2) even if you have hardware with an "fxp" on board, adding a second
>    supported card is cheap and easy -- nothing like having to put
>    in a second video card;

For many (most?) people that may be practical.  But what about
those of us with a 1RU system using fxp on the motherboard and
NEED the single PCI slot for something else?  I suspect that
there are more of us than you might think.

All the best,

-Richard