Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 14:34:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Introductory Book on FreeBSD

On Tue, 22 May 2001, David Johnson wrote:

> 1) If you know MSWurd very well, then it is going to be easier to write
> the book in MSWurd than in StarOffice or Applix. You will need to format
> the final document, and it's easier and faster to format in a WYSIWYG
> word processor than to use DocBook, TeX or groff macros.

I would strongly disagree.

> 2) Publishers accept submissions in MSWord only, for the most part.

Last one I dealt with (Northlight Books) wanted plain ASCII
text. Period.

Duke

> edit a Linux programming book. But the galley was in MSWord and I had
> submit all corrections and edits as inplace MSWord comments. Since the
> job wouldn't pay enough to cover a harddrive+Windows+MSOffice, I had to
> turn it down.

You could use WP for Linux and save it as a wordcrash file
(dependent upon the version acceptable, mine will convers
up to 6.0/7.0 without problems -- as long as you don't confuse
wordcrash with good fonts).

Duke