Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 05:14:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright law, again...

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

:So?  So her essential point, which you will not understand since you
:refuse to read the thing except what I quote at you (and only
:selectively at that -- you ignored the next quote I supplied), is that
:the "general public" has not benefited for over 100 years from the
:modifications to copyright law.  They do not sit at committees; their
:interests are not represented.  It is a monopoly of content producers,

The point of copyright and patent law is not to benefit the general public
directly, but to spur art and science in the interest of long term
progress.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"