Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:20:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: new loader.rc stuff

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> A new loader.rc mechanism has been introduced. Nothing has changed
> with loader, mind you, and you can continue to use your current
> loader.rc (if any) unchanged, but Jordan thinks it might be better
> to install a loader.rc using the new mechanism by default, to keep
> support easy, so things might change in the future...
>
> Meanwhile, the new loader.rc stuff, for those who want it. It is
> modeled after rc.conf files. We now have a
> /boot/defaults/loader.conf, with all defaults (meaning it hardly
> does anything, serving more as a template), which will also load
> /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local, in that order, if
> present.
>
> The idea is to leave /boot/loader.conf for sysinstall,
> /boot/loader.conf.local for the user, and /boot/defaults/loader.conf
> to installworld.

Daniel, I'm having a little trouble getting this to work.  I don't see
any kind of example loader.conf, or loader.conf.local,  I made the file
you asked, below (/boot/loader.rc) ... I didn't have a loader.conf, so
on boot, it issues me an error on that.  I have a new pnp sound card I
have working manually, by donig a boot -c, and issuing the command

pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x534 port2 0x220 irq0 15 drq0 1 drq1 0

This very helpfully shows up in my dmesg, and I get sound, but I want to
have this done automatically on boot (no boot -c).  My kernel already is
correct, so I stuck that line into the otherwise empty
loader.conf.local, but it told me that I had a syntax error (on
encountering the first "1") and didn't get the configuration done.  I
checked very carefully, the loader.conf.local does have that exact pnp
line I showed.

It would help me if you had an example loader.conf and loader.conf.local
file hanging around ... and maybe an ls -lR /boot, so I'd know I had a
complete set of files.

Thanks.

> To use this, put the following lines in your /boot/loader.rc:
>
> include /boot/loader.4th
> start
>
> Then you can create a /boot/loader.conf.local with whatever other
> stuff you'd like, such as using a splash screen.
>
> Feedback, comments, musings and flames are welcome. (I'd
> particularly like a better name than "start" :)
>
> --
> Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
> dcs@newsguy.com
> dcs@freebsd.org
>
> 	"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker."

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).