Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:49:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Richard Levenberg <richard_levenberg@securecomputing.com>
Cc:        J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I help with the JDK2 port?

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Richard Levenberg wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I appreciated your comments and was surprised at Nate William's reply. I
> gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed that I had missed
> something on the website (http://www.freebsd.org/java). I went back to
> look for something like an anonymous CVS, or something that I could just
> look at and decide for myself whether I was capable and had the time. I
> still havent found anything.

You guys are offering to do something that is not needed, and are
complaining because, when you offer to do 1% of the work, everyone
doesn't shower you with roses.

The porting's a lot of REAL work, and the guys who know how to do it are
all currently kinda tied up.  It's not here now, and taking pot shots at
Nate, who actually HAS provided code, comes ill from a bunch of folks
who haven't provided anything at all.

You haven't even bothered to check out the Sun web site, and if you deny
it, then how come you didn't know about Sun making the source code
available?  It's on their web site, they didn't hide it.  You want the
code, go get it.

I get a little hot at folks getting shirty about not treating their
offers as if they were real work.  Read this list a little, and you'll
see offers come all the time, but real work doesn't.  If you want folks
to take you seriously, don't offer things, show stuff you've already
done.  God knows there's enough things to do.

Good intentions are not good deeds.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).