Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 22:06:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Kenneth P. Stox" <ken@stox.sa.enteract.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linus on BSD

Well, I recently spend a fair amount of time with Linus while he was here
in Chicago, for COMDEX. We had a rather long discussion, with only a few
interruptions from Linux groupies, and he had some interesting comments. I
will pass down what I think will be of interest to the FreeBSD community
and maybe give some more context to the comments he made to ABC along with
my spin on the situation.

First of all, I should state that although I did not agree with everything
he had to say, Linus was an extremely knowledgeable and well spoken fellow.
He was not afraid to make his opinions in a clear and forthright fashion.
He is a big fan of the DEC-Alpha architecture, and obviously thinks that
it is the lineage to follow for the future. ( Well, I suspect until
Transmeta has something better ;-)

In the course of our discussion, I asked him what he thought of FreeBSD,
He spoke very highly of FreeBSD and of our illustrious Jordan. He seemed
to have a great deal of respect for the technical achievements of FreeBSD.
He did not speak highly of the NetBSD and OpenBSD efforts, however. The
one harsh criticism he had for the FreeBSD effort, is our apparent ceding
of the desktop to focus on servers. I might add, this is a criticism Linus
has of all the existing commercial vendors of UNIX. Linus seems to feel
that this is the mistake that UNIX vendors have been making for years,
thus losing focus upon many user related issues.

I think I agree with Linus on this important point. The desktop is the
entry into the user's mind. Let's face it, many, if not most, systems out
there are chosen by people who are already familiar with the product.
Benchmarks and awards are used to justify the decision they have already
made, not to make the initial decision. If people actually followed the
process that most of us would like, making rational decisions based on
hard data, NT would be in the minority, and FreeBSD would be one of the
most popular operating systems around.

I suspect that Linus actually views FreeBSD as tough competition to Linux.
He also views himself, rightfully so, as a representative for the
community he helped to start, and thus has a responsibility to push that
agenda as hard as he can. He is the leading Linux evangelist, well maybe
second leading, Mad-Dog is a pretty tough act to beat.

Given those standpoints, he is correct in the statements he made,
although I do not think he is right. You will notice that he evades the
actual point of the question ( Hmmm, someone has been getting some good
P/R coaching, don't answer the questions you don't want to and focus on
the issues you do. ) He completely avoids making any technical comparison
of FreeBSD to Linux, but chooses to focus of the popularity and media
attention that Linux has received vs. BSD's. He makes no statement
regarding the technical merits. If pushed in this regard, he would
probably focus on the weakest points of NetBSD and OpenBSD, and
conveniently neglect direct comparison with FreeBSD.

	1) We must not cede the desktop, but trumpet it. We're damn good
	on the desktop, we're even better on the server. Linux and NT
	are disappointments when moved from the desktop to a server
	roles, FreeBSD is a joy.

	2) We must emphasize the advantages of mature code, as opposed to
	the "But it's new" attitude that dominates the Linux domain. This
	is the same attitude that dominates the NT cesspool. If it's new,
	it must be better. I think most of us have long come to the
	conclusion that new is not necessarily better. Evolution works
	far better. FreeBSD, evolved to be the best!

	3) We must emphasize our commitment to quality over novelty. No
	we don't support the most hardware and applications. However,
	those we do are of high quality. Running FreeBSD is not a
	continuous experiment ( unless you're running current, of course. )
	A user can count on FreeBSD to be stable, robust and secure.

	4) We must define the field we are going to play the game on. As
	long as we allow others to define the playing field, we are at
	disadvantage. We need to convince the market of the merits of
	FreeBSD, and how they outweigh the apparent advantages of the
	competition.

	5) We must not let ourselves be pulled into the field where we
	are labeled as "old-fashioned." We must turn that around to be
	the field of wisdom and experience. We must not allow ourselves
	to be defined as spoilsports to the Linux community, just another
	community that has a more mature viewpoint and a more thought out
	solution.

I think that FreeBSD will have some enormous opportunities in the near
future. I suspect that many will migrate to Linux to be stymied by its
current limitations. We can offer effective answers to those problems.
We support 4GB of physical memory. We support > 2GB files. Many people are
coming to realize that these limitations are constraining them severely on
their servers. Our window of ooportunity is now, it won't stay this open
for that much longer.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now,

-Ken Stox
 stox@imagescape.com