Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 21:57:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "J. Heinrich" <j@y.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making egcs the default for building ports

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, J. Heinrich wrote:

> On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 04:01:26PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > Most often, you can do:
> >
> > setenv CC (path to your egcs compiler)
> > setenv CXX (path to your egcs C++ compiler)
>
> But I'd have to remember to do this every time.

certainly not.  Either stick it in your .cshrc (or the equivalent
startup file for your chosen shell) or (far better) make a shell script
that changes your PATH variable, or resets your path variable back
again.

> I suppose I could set these in /etc/make.conf, but that's a wider
> scope than the ports tree.  Could I set these in one of the
> bsd.port.*.mk files in /usr/ports/Mk?

NO don't do that, do the second option I list above.  Call the script
that sets /usr/local/bin first something like "set-egcs".  You could
reset your path as easily as "source .cshrc".

> Are CC & CXX the only vars that need to be set?

Usually.