Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:18:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        sheldonh@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        pjm@chingiz.cs.ntu.edu.au, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/11934: Port of GNU Nana 2.4

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 sheldonh@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> Synopsis: Port of GNU Nana 2.4
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: sheldonh
> State-Changed-When: Mon Jun 7 12:51:51 PDT 1999
> State-Changed-Why:
> Please resubmit using diff(1) output, rather than a shar(1), as per the
> guidelines at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/porting.html .

You know, these guys aren't committers.  I'm not sure you're doing folks
a real service by telling them to go back and try again.  The ports they
turn it, I've nearly never seen one that worked correctly right off the
bat anyways, so it has to be reconstituted no matter what, before
committing.  If it has new files, I don't want them as diffs anyhow.

I think you are raising the contribution level too high here.  I'm not
saying your advice is wrong, I'm saying you are too strict, and the
committer who takes it is going to know how to handle it anyhow.

I would be on your side if it was a contribution to the main tree, where
we rightly expect a higher level of competence.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |