Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:19:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@yes.no>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: replacing grep(1)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> >=20
> > I move that we replace GNU grep in our source tree with this
> > implementation, once it's been reviewed by all concerned parties.
>=20
> Go for it, the more GNU stuff we nuke the better :)
>=20
> -S=F8ren
>=20

Geez, why don't we just write our own compiler and linker, assembler,
and everything? Let's get every last bit of GNU out of our system, for
no reason! This kind of NIH is not necessary, and only hurts us by
misdirecting our energies.
</joking>

Seriously, I'd love for this to happen. Most GNU software is a hopeless,
gruesome mess that should be dragged out and shot. Getting rid of as
much as possible, gradually, is a Very Good Thing; this is how we get
stability and performance improvements.

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___ =20
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \=20
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/=20