Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/libreadline FREEBSD-upgrade rlstdc.h CHANGELOG CHANGES MANIFEST Makefile.in README aclocal.m4 bind.c callback.c complete.c configure configure.in display.c funmap.c histexpand.c histfile.c histlib.h history.c history.h input.c ...

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, David O'Brien wrote:

> > > Give `toor' a password and login on the console.
> >
> > Hummm...  I get a BEL when I hit backspace.  What is supposed to happen?
>
> libreadline would have backspaced over the 's'.

FWIW, the correct behavior seems to be to beep and complain rather than
accept the ^H. This is from my memory of how the vi standard dictates
the behavior, how nvi works, and how it coincides with libedit. The
proper behavior, IIRC, is such that backspace will only delete any text
in vi that has been typed during the same command. I.e.:

ifo<esc>Ao<bs> would give you "fo" and

I'd prefer to keep in line with the vi standard for behavior rather than
how libreadline (and, btw, pdksh) make things more convenient/less
correct.

--
 Brian Fundakowski Feldman           /  "Any sufficiently advanced bug is    \
 green@FreeBSD.org                   |   indistinguishable from a feature."  |