Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:41:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jack Wathey <wathey@salk.edu>
Subject:   Status of XFree86 on Alpha?

Hi,

I've been trying to build and run Xfree86 on FreeBSD-current for the Alpha
and have run into several problems I'd like to report and compare notes
on.  Please CC me and wathey@salk.edu on your responses directly as we
aren't (yet) subscribed to freebsd-alpha.

We are running FreeBSD-current for Alpha as of 19990923 and have cvsupped
our ports tree on that date as well.  The machine is a 533MHz PC164LX with
64MB RAM and a Matrox Millenium II with 4MB.

Problems/Observations:

1) We could "make" XFree86 but a "make install" failed due to a missing
/usr/include/sys/pci_ioctl.h.  We noticed that patch-4 for for
/usr/port/x11/XFree86 includes a patch to "#include <sys/pci_ioctl.h>"
however this file does not exist in /usr/include/sys on our system.
"make world" in /usr/src does not install this file. We found the file in
/usr/src/sys/pci and copied it by hand to /usr/include/sys.  After this a
"make install" for XFree86 succeeded.  FreeBSD for Intel does not have
this file in /usr/include/sys and XFree86 does not require it on Intel.

2) SuperProbe segfaults.  gdb doesn't like the core file so we have no
clue about the problem here.

3) We configured X to run the X_SVGA server for our Matrox Millenium II.
The server starts up fine but some windows are filled with black and
menus pop up empty until you run the mouse cursor over the locations where
the text should be.

Can anyone tell us if this is normal for the current status of XFree86 for
FreeBSD-current on the Alpha.  I scanned the freebsd-alpha mail archive
but could glean any insights into this matter.  Is there some miss
configuration on our system causing pci_ioctl.h to be skipped during a
"make world"?  Should we be using a different brand of video card?

Thanks for your help,

Tom