Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 15:27:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jose Marques <noway@nohow.demon.co.uk>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announce: New release of JDK1.1.8 for FreeBSD

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> Can you *also* try running the benchmark using the newest TYA JIT (1.5),
> and see what performance changes it does.

Re-running the benchmark as you requested gives the following results:

JDK    Average throughput (messages per second)
Date   without TYA 1.5    with TYA 1.5
19/7    82                150
22/9   122                149

The benchmark was run on a Libretto 70CT with 32MB of RAM (hence my use of
the words "very informal" when describing the test) running FreeBSD
3.3-stable.  The benchmarks were run from the console in multi-user mode
but with most background processes killed.  I used the command lines
mentioned in the "Is it fast" section of the Volano report.

--
Jose Marques