Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:07:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trying to achieve zen with natd

The freebsd-net mailing list has been trimmed, since it probably isn't
wholly appropriate to this question:

On 5 Oct 1999, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:

> Hi, I have a FreeBSD 3.3-stable box with 2 NIC cards each bound to
> static IP's and different ISP WAN interfaces (fxp0 and fxp1)
> fxp0 is connected to a /25 network
> fxp1 is connected to a /26 network
>
> Default router is fxp1

That doesn't really make any sense...  Is fxp1 attached to your
private network, or the public network?

> I would like to configure this box to act as a NATD box. Set the right
> kernel config and recompile the kernel
>
> /etc/rc.conf
>
> gateway_enable="YES"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="open"
> natd_enable = "YES"
> natd_interface = "fxp1" #Assuming this will take the public interface
> natd_flags = "-u"

The natd_interface does indeed take the public interface, but that
isn't what you seem to be indicating below....

> I did the following in /etc/rc.local
>
> ifconfig fxp1 alias 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

You don't need to, and probably shouldn't, do this in /etc/rc.local.
Add a line like this to /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_fxp1_alias0="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

> Setup a Windows box with IP 192.168.0.2 and gateway 192.168.0.1
> I can ping the gateway box, however I can't seem to get out to either
> the /25 network or the /26 network

This would seem to indicate fxp1 is your private interface, not the
public interface.  If so, change natd_interface to fxp0 (assuming it
is your public interface). You appear to have everything else correct.

If you are attempting to put the machines to be NATted (is that a new
verb?) on the public network but part of an unregistered subnet, that
is possible, but you would need to specify
natd_interface="the.public.ip.address" instead of the interface name.

> What am I missing ??
>
> Thanks, Yusuf
>
> --
> Yusuf Goolamabbas
> yusufg@outblaze.com

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."