Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:05:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bug in DNS implementations?

I've been trying to track down a problem with reverse DNS lookups
on a 3.1 system most of the day, and I may have found it.  Has anyone else
seen this?  The rev DNS for the box is handled by an NT machine, 5.6.7.1,
and this box is 5.6.7.190.  For some reason 190 could never reverse lookup
its own or other IPs in 5.6.7.

I started mucking around with nslookup, on .190 and on other machines.

3.1

# nslookup
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> server server1.567.com.au.
Default Server:  server1.567.com.au
Address:  5.6.7.1

> ls 7.6.5.in-addr.arpa. > /tmp/7
[server1.techinfo.com.au]
###
Received 168 answers (0 records).      <<<<--- note zero records
> ls 7.6.5.in-addr.arpa. > /tmp/7
[server1.techinfo.com.au]
###
Received 168 answers (0 records).      <<<<---- again, same result

# cat /tmp/7
[server1.567.com.au]
#

----
On a 2.2.8 machine, which runs bind 4.9.x, the results were more as
expected:

> ls 7.6.5.in-addr.arpa. > /tmp/7
[server1.567.com.au]
###
Received 168 answers (168 records).   <<<<--- that's better.

---

I tried it on 3.2 and got the same result as on 3.1 - probably bind 8
talking to NT problem. Curiously, named on 3.1 was quite happy to
secondary the zone, so it appears to be a resolver issue, not named
itself.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  I'm happy to do tcpdumps etc for
anyone who wants to investigate this properly.

Danny