Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:36:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user toor? and other things seen w/ vipw

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Michael Rothenberg wrote:

>I took a quick look with vipw and figured out what most of the stuff might
>be. However, I couldn't figure out what the user 'toor' is for? Also, why
>is the name 'Charlie' in the line for the root user?

Charlie is just because.

toor is special. You can keep the user toor around with a non-standard
shell like bash. This allows you to set root's shell as sh seperately from
toor. In the event of trouble, bash may not always work, but sh should
still work.

I never use 'root' anymore. I always 'su toor' when I need to be
superuser. This is because I like to use bash.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells