Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:34:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Theo van Klaveren <havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about GLIDE...

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Theo,
>
> Though doug didn't say so, I think the equivalent code in freeBSD is
>
> if ((fd = open("/dev/io",O_RDWR,0)) == -1) {
> 	ERROR...
> }
>
> you are asking for permission to do direct IO to IO ports from userland.
>
> man 4 io

Thats right. Another gotcha with the Glide code is that it uses the Linux
convention for outx(), i.e. outb(val, port) where we use outb(port, val).
That had me going for an hour or two..

Seriously, look at my diffs. I ran all the tests and they produced the
same results as for Linux. I was planning to work with the folks at
glide.sourceforge.net next year to get the FreeBSD bits integrated with
their source base.

In the mean time, I'm looking for someone to generate a port or two for
glide..

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com