Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:58:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.COM>, FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java and FreeBSD

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Nate Williams wrote:

> The reason for this is because the Blackdown team was given access to
> the latest SUN JIT.  It has very little to do with JDK1.2 and everything
> to do with using a well designed JIT.

> Again, this has little to do with it, and the biggest reason is because

Really? I thought that native kernel threads would help for IO bound
application..

> of the JIT.  For a much better performing JDK 1.1.8, try using one of
> the JIT's in the ports area, either TYA or ShuJIT.  I've had good look
> with the former...

My point was that even with one of those JITs the performance is less than
breathtaking. Don't take it personally, please - I know you spent
tremendous efforts to make Java available on FreeBSD, and I admire you for
that. But still, it's easy to make VolanoMark benchmark and see the
results...

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------