Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 12:29:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.com>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@FreeBSD.ORG>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Thomas Gellekum <tg@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc.shutdown

That sounds like a good idea, provided that it will be gone after a
reasonable heads-up grace period.  One scenario might be:

* In FreeBSD 4.1:

- Add a `# start|stop' line to every startup script in ports.

- Make rc / rc.shutdown aware of non-conforming scripts which are likely
to be homemade ones or ones from previous port/package installation.
The rc scripts should treat the old scripts in the compatibility mode,
and should explicitly say something like:

starting local daemons: vn.
Local package initialization: apache pgsql Samba squid mixer.
---------- IMPORTANT NOTICE ----------
The following startup script(s) does not conform to the start/stop
argument conventions which took effect starting from 4.1-RELEASE:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mixer.sh

The system is currently treating them in compatibility mode, but they
should be modified or upgraded per the guideline found at
http://www.freebsd.org/newstartupscripts.html as soon as possible.

The compatibility mode may be removed in upcoming releases, and then all
old scripts will be noninteroperable with the system.  Once they are
upgraded, you won't see this notice again.

* In FreeBSD 4.2:

- Remove the compatibility mode from rc and port startup scripts.

--
Eugene M. Kim <ab@astralblue.com>

"Is your music unpopular?  Make it popular; make music
which people like, or make people who like your music."