Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:27:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Joe Mays <jfmays@launchpad.win.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache and Realaudio/realvideo

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Joe Mays wrote:

> Didn't there used to be a limit on the number of realaudio/realvideo streams
> that an apache webserver could serve? If so, does the limit still apply?

Apache sort of "streams" by nature that the realplayerg2 will recognize
certain file types and after buffering the data as configured, can begin
playing the clip before downloading completes. However, to take advantage
of real time streaming protocol to throttle the connection and select the
proper rate of streaming for the viewer as set in their realplayer
preferences, you've got to use the realserver.

> If there is no limit on apache streams, is there any reason to buy a realserver
> from progressive
> networks other than doing live broadcasts?

It's got nice features, but we would not have purchased it if a major
client didn't request it.

Jeffrey A. Lynch		| JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
email: jeff@jorsm.com		| 7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
Voice: (219)322-2180		| 100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com	| Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com		| Serving Gov, Biz, Indivds Since 1995