Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:44:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc:        Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick@mindstep.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15873: New Apache_fp+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.8 port.

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:

> > To me the ideal situation would be:
> > - a simple apache port (apache13)
> > - a new port category (maybe) for the apache modules where I could find
> >   mod_ssl, mod_php, mod_frontpage, mod_xyz, etc.
> >
> > This way I could choose exactly the apache configuration I need/want.
> >
> > This is exactly why I created a "mod_dav" port as opposed to a
> > "apache-mod_dav-xxx" port. It would be really great if you could do the
> same
> > with the mod_frontpage module.
> >
> As the original creator of the Apache13-fp port, it is not currently
> possible to seperate the mod_frontpage module from the Apache Server.  The
> reason for this is the mod_frontpage requires certain patches be applied to
> the Apache Server before it gets compiled.
>
> Mod_SSL is also in the same situation as it requires the EAPI patches to be
> applied to the Apache Server.
>
> It is possible to come up with a one Apache Server solution, but it will
> require that the FrontPage patches (patch-f?), EAPI patches, etc be applied
> and compiled with the Apache port.
>
> Then Apache Module ports for mod_fronpage, mod_ssl can be created which
> compiles these modules as DSO.
>
> Also, the httpd.conf needs a way for adding new DSO to it.
>
> HINT: NetBSD ports tree is already doing this for the mod_ssl, php* ports.

	Wouldn't a good way to do it be to simply implement front page
extensions into the apache13+php3 port since one can select the modules
and option one wants built into the server.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]