Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:51:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Delmir Fernandes <delmir@enteract.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD must remail non-commercial at all (Was: Not enough information)

Edited and reformatted for readability...

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Alexey N. Dokuchaev wrote:

>> I am a new Linux user and always listen to others saying that FreeBSD
>> is better and faster plus many large and well-known companies use
>> FreeBSD. If that is so... Why is Linux so much more popular? Why does
>> not exist enough (if any) documentation on FreeBSD? How can FreeBSD be

Why is M$ more popular than all the rest combined?  Because they market to
the masses like you said.  TO THE MASSES.. not to COMPUTER USERS.  Those
who know computers well get much more done and appreciate the stability
and flexibility of other OSes.  Linux simply got more promotional weight
behind it.  Also, there has been more of a push to make it more useful on
the desktop.  Most of these advances also apply to FreeBSD.

>> FreeBSD would be in much better position if it were sold to the
>> masses, and not only a very few experts.  From all the excuses you

Does more popular make it better?  Especially for a volunteer project
where the goal is not profit?

Should Porsche market a minivan for all the middle aged parents who want
a good German engineered sports car but who need seating for 5 and lots of
cup holders and cargo space?

>> Life isn't perfect but it is great if we learn to adapt to it.
>
>I'd rather tried to change it to better, not to adatp to it.

It's been said that an average man adapts to the world.  A brilliant man
makes the world adapt to him (or something like that)