Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:02:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg@begemot.org>, "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@moe.2bsd.com>, pups@minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sun release source code for Solaris 8

Message too convoluted to tell who actually wrote this....but i
believe Greg wrote the second group of lines....

>> That would make quite an interesting test. How much does
>> ftp.cdrom.com gain by running FreeBSD instead of Solaris ?
>
>Good question.  My guess is that Solaris 2 just couldn't handle that
>many connections, but it compete reasonably well with fewer
>connections (say 1000).  I'll copy the FreeBSD chat people and see
>what they think.

Interestingly, i noticed recently that the response time on usa.net
seemed much slower.  It appears consistently so, either by ppp
connection or by network/T1 line.  A few months ago, netcraft showed
that they were running FreeBSD.  Guess what they are running
now? Yup... SOlaris.  I dropped them a line saying i noticed the speed
difference.

"I've done questionable things, also extraordinary things....
Revel in your time!"