Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:02:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Brett Glass wrote:
> No; the FreeBSD Project should do exactly the same thing. Anyone
> should be able to call their product FreeBSD; they just could not call
> it "Walnut Creek FreeBSD," for instance, without the permission of
> Walnut Creek.

Yes, but its -not- FreeBSD unless its the release rolled by the
project.  If you're gonna take the official release and write your own
installer and setup the system with all sorts of eye candy and drool proof
toys then I could maybe see calling it "Foobaz2000 (based on FreeBSD
4.5-RELEASE), or "(Contains FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE!)" somewhere small.

It looks like you're trying to take something that the FreeBSD project has
worked hard for (good PR) and profit by it, while offering nothing in
return and quite possibly damaging user/market trust in the brand.

Am I pretty close?

> If new products are not clearly labeled as distributions of the work of one of
> the existing projects, they will be perceived as fragmentation.

Well, here's your big chance to create a FreeBSD based
distribution.  Whats stopping you?

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |