Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:49:43 +1030 (CST)
From:      Matthew Sean Thyer <me@camtech.net.au>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! old wd driver going away

Please leave the wd driver for those who cannot use the ATA driver.
At least until the ATA driver gets support for more older disks.

I cant be the only person using an old 80 MB IDE drive as / with
another drive as /usr (a 400 MB SCSI).

I haven't tried for a couple of months but the ATA driver didn't
work over several different world builds back then and I haven't
seen commits to indicate it will work now.  dmesg from a less than
a week old -CURRENT says the disk is:

wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Maxtor 7080 AT-TTT>, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 77MB (158440 sectors), 932 cyls, 10 heads, 17 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

Lots of people may say "buy new hardware" but the fact is that
my 486DX4-100 with these crappy old disks does extremely well as
my user-mode ppp connection to the net using NAT.  It also runs
a DHCP server, Squid proxy server, name server, and IMAP server
very nicely.  I also have no money for my FreeBSD hobby.

Some of you will say "stick with 4.0-RELEASE or earlier" and thats
what I'll have to do if wd goes but I do prefer to keep all 3
of my machines running -CURRENT so I can easily recover from
bad -CURRENT experiences by grabbing binaries from another machine
etc...  (Of course I build world on the Celeron 300a and install
it on the others).