Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 21:27:28 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, kwc@world.std.com
Subject:   Re: ext2fs optional features

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Mark W. Krentel wrote:

> And this is what appears in the logs:
>
>    Mar 24 21:36:47 blue /kernel: WARNING: R/W mount of dev 0x3040a
>    denied due to unsupported optional features
>
> What are the optional features?  What does "sparse_super" do?

They are extensions that modify the filesystem format.  I don't know
exactly what "sparse_super" does.  FreeBSD's ext2fs knows even less.

> Does Linux actually use these features, or are they for future use?

Linux has supported the ext2fs "filetype" and "sparse_super" features
for several years.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be the default for the
current version of mkfs.ext2fs.

> Is it possible to support R/W mounts with these features?

Everything is possible in software :-).

> I remember 3.4-release let me mount the same filesystem R/W.  Was I

That was a bug in 3.4 :-).

> unknowingly corrupting the filesystem, or running some risk of a panic?

The "filetype" extension caused panics.  I don't know what the "sparse_super"
extension caused.

> I noticed that tune2fs also reported:
>
>    Block size:               4096
>    Fragment size:            4096
>
> Does Linux really not support fragments??  I was stunned.

Fragments are a dubious feature.  They were more useful when 100MB disks
were large.

Bruce