Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 23:22:59 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
Cc:        bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV, nnd@mail.nsk.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'machine/param.h' required for 'sys/socket.h'

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Yoshinobu Inoue wrote:

> > Instead, CMSG* should use _ALIGN() and _ALIGN() should be implemented
> > somewhere that doesn't add any namespace pollution.  We currently
> > use <machine/ansi.h> for things like this, but it is already too
> > overloaded.

> OK, then how about creating machine/align.h?

That approach in general would give too many headers.

<machine/ansi.h> is more wrongly loaded than overloaded.  It is used
to avoid certain namespace problems in general, not just ones in ANSI
headers.  It is mainly used to avoid namespace problems with typedefs.
Typedefs should all be handled in <machine/types.h>, but currently
aren't because <machine/types.h> would give namespace pollution in
ANSI headers.  I think headers like <machine/param.h> and <machine/types.h>
should define only names in the implementation namespace, so that they
can be used in standard headers.  The standard headers then export
precisely the names specified by the applicable standard, if any.

Bruce