Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 16:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>, Chris Piazza <cpiazza@jaxon.net>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FYI: Missing DISTNAME for netpbm 8.4...

> > I've thought about adding some sort of "timeout" in bsd.port.mk, so
> > users will have to upgrade their ports-base collection from time to
> > time, to ensure they will all have a reasonably new bsd.port.mk.  What
> > do you guys think?
>
> I think this is the wrong solution. If I install a 4.1 ports collection
> and use the 4.1 distfiles [*], it should continue to work for all time,
> because otherwise people without internet connectivity are screwed.

True.. but what if in your 4.1 bsd.port.mk it specified a version number,
say 4.1.  Then, in all the ports themselves there would be a defination
for "need at least port version xxx".  Then bsd.port.mk can check to see
if it's capable of processing that particular port.

So, for normal people:

bsd.port.mk = 4.1
some port = 4.1

everything is fine, but for my screwed up system:

bsd.port.mk = 3.2
some port = 4.1

at which point it can complain that my bsd.port.mk is not current enough
to process "some port" and I should upgrade to 4.1.

That way, you could download everything (all ports) and disconnect from
the net forever and still be fine, but people like myself who update their
ports and forget to update bsd.port.mk will be reminded.

Perl has something like this if I remember right where a script can
"require" a certain version of the interpreter...

just my 2 cents.

-philip