Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 21:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd hosting.

Gonna start a holy war here, but for a 'newbie' I'd rather reccommend
Postfix instead of Q-Mail.  I have used both, and Q-mail to me
just seems too much patching and work to get it to do the simplest things,
like rbl lookups, spam control, etc.

Postfix is a little more like sendmail, and is I think a bit better at
delegating for virtual hosting and aliasing (over Q-Mail at least)... I
have two machines running FreeBSD with Postfix, doing e-mail for over 250
domains - nary a problem.

Co-location is definitely a better way to go than a frame, IMHO.  We have
a rack, and it's much less expensive than running a frame to your house.
There are inconveniences, such as not having the boxes right on premises,
and needing to go to the provider if you need to do work, but for the
cost/connectivity, you really can't beat it.

DSL is still in its infancy, and if you need uptime, you still won't get
it reliably yet.  Too many bugs to still work out.

Just my $.02, I'll shut up now... ;)

-Gary