Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 20:32:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ram drive on 4.0

Crist J. Clark wrote to Dru:

> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 10:15:36PM -0400, Dru wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 16 May 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > > Sounds like the drive was not detected at boot. How about,
> > >   # grep ^ad /var/run/dmesg.boot
> >
> > ad0: 6187MB <FUJITSU MPD3064AT> [13410/15/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
> >
> > But now I'm confused. This is my one and only hard drive on a system
> > dedicated to FreeBSD.
>
> You're confused? I you were just saying you were trying to add swap
> from a second drive, now you say that there is only one drive?
>
> How many drives do you have on the system? It looks like one is
> detected.

Apologies for the intrusion.

Dru, were you not asking for a "RAM" drive?  I believe your original post
may have been a bit misleading, but in the lines of your text I DID see
reference made to MFS - Memory FileSystem.

No second physical disk is required.

To add a MFS drive, add the following to your /etc/fstab

/dev/wd0s1b		/tmp		mfs	rw,-s=65536	0	0

Creates a 32MB MFS on /tmp

man mount_mfs

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2